Monday, October 27, 2008

Ghazals, Urdu and Jagjit singh

I have been listening to ghazals by jagjit singh right from my school days...Though my understanding has certainly improved with time. I have come to know about many great poets like Mirza Ghalib, Nida fazli, Sahir Ludhianvi, Qateel, Gulzar. All of them are great poets in their very own rights, but i would certainly rate Ghalib as the best and though he uses a lot intricate urdu and persian words, which are difficult to comprehend. Among contemprory Indian poets, Gulzar sahab is one of the best. His album "Marasim" which means relationships took six long years for completion. I love everyone who is a ghazal listener. Ghazals have given a new perspective to me. I feel enamoured when i listen to jagjeet singh, he has an amazing knack of connecting with people. His ghazals have every possible emotion right from happiness, guilt, sadness, fun, and there is punjabi ghazal called "miiti da bawa" (a clay puppet), which potrays a emotion of a lady, who cannot have a child, so makes a clay puppet. I have simply been mesmerised by the thoughts these poets have penned down. Wish i could write like them.
Some of my favourites by Jagjit ji: 1) Tumko dekha to ye khayal aaya 2) Apni marzi kahan apne safar par hum hain 3) Kaasid ke aate aate (Ghalib) 4) kabhi khamosh baitoge kabhi kuch gungunaoge 5) Apne hoton par sajana 6) ye tera ghar ye mera ghar 7) Suna tha ki woh aayenge 8) Kabhi yun bhi to ho.
Along with listening to ghazals, i have also developed a fascination for urdu language. I think its one of the sweetest languages in the world along with french. And this post would certainly be incomplete without the mention of Ahmad Faraz, a legendary poet from pakistan and one of my favourite. Some of his lines "Suna hai laug ussay aankh bhar ke dekhtey, So us k shehr main kuch din theher k dekhtey hain, Suna hai usko bhi hai sher-o-shaiyrii se shughaf (interest), So hum bhi apney hunar ko aajma ke dekhtey hain, Suna hai bolay to baaton se phool jhartey hain, Ye baat hai to chalo baat ker ke dekhtey hain".

1 comment:

vijay said...

I love Jagjit Singh... to be frank, I don't understand half of the word used by Ghalib and I end up googling for those words ;)

Enjoy the new perspective you have found in yourself. You can check out gazal.in for some collection / lyrics etc..